In a culture where shows like Jersey Shore, Keeping Up With The Kardashians, and Here Comes Honey Boo Boo engross TV viewers everywhere, it's important to acknowledge programming that engages audiences with clever writing and stimulating material. Every so often the networks get it right and support a series that is a breath of fresh air with clearly developed characters, perfectly cast actors, and a luring and often intricate plot. In appreciation of such shows, I have started this commentary.

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

American Horror Story

Last year when FX advertised a new show that promised to terrify audiences, starring Dylan McDermott, featuring a “family just moved across the country into a haunted house” format, and created by Ryan Murphy of Glee fame, my palms went to my forehead in agony. I figured the actual terror would come from this haphazard combination of elements merged into one series. By the end of the first episode of American Horror Story, however, I was obsessed and stalking AHS forums wanting spoilers, opinions, snippets of interviews with Mr. Murphy - any info I could get! I found the writing to be brilliant, the acting far surpassing my expectations (annnnnd the Emmy goes to Jessica Lange), and the “horror” elements absolutely delivered.  As each week passed, I badgered my AHS friends, wanting them to analyze the plot developments and expressing disappointment when they may have been an episode or two (in some cases several) behind. I may have overreacted a little...
When the Season 1 finale aired on December 21st and Ryan Murphy announced that each season of AHS would tell a completely different story, I was greatly relieved as it would have been quite difficult to proceed with the initial story given 99% of those characters were dead at that point. Imagine my excitement when Mr. Murphy also announced that several actors would be returning to play all new characters in Season 2! Jessica Lange and Frances Conroy were the highlights of each episode for me, and Evan Peters and Lily Rabe grew on me as well. I can’t wait to see this new story unfold and hope this season tops the first.

No comments:

Post a Comment